This post contains affiliate links; read more about that in the Disclosure Policy. As always, all opinions are my own.
I love ordering any kind of takeout food, especially Chinese! I know this isn’t the case for everyone, but usually, when I eat Chinese takeout, I get a headache, bloated and even feel a little foggy. This evident need for clean Chinese-inspired food is where the sweet and spicy chicken was born! The sauce is a delicious mix of exactly what it sounds like, sweetness (from raw honey) and spiciness (red pepper flakes). I finally found a combination that gave the chicken a satisfying, breaded crunch. The key? Arrowroot flour!
Arrowroot is a starch that is derived from plant roots and high in protein. It has a fairly concentrated amount of vitamin B; making arrowroot an important metabolic source. It does exactly what it sounds like, aids in digestion and in turn, weight loss. In this recipe, I used this arrowroot flour , which is also free of GMOs!
- 1 lbs. of chicken
- 1/2 cup of oil
- FOR THE SAUCE
- 1/2 cup of raw honey
- 5 tbsp coconut amino
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- pinch of salt
- FOR THE BREADING
- 3/4 cups arrowroot flour
- 2 eggs + 1 tsp water
- 1 red bell pepper
- green onions
- red pepper flakes (use to taste)
- Cut the chicken into cubes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, beat the egg and water. Set Aside.
- In another small bowl (I know, it's a LOT of small bowls), pour the arrowroot flour.
- Now it's time to use all the small bowls, yay!
- One at a time, dip the chicken cubes into the egg mixture and then the arrowroot flour. Set aside on a plate.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Place the chicken in the now heated skillet, (stir occasionally) until it's browned on all sides.
- Carefully, drain most of the oil into a mug (you can discard this later).
- Pour the sauce over the chicken until it's boiling.
- Once it's boiling, bring the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.(Stir occasionally)
- Slice the bell pepper and add to the chicken for 2 minutes.
- Top with diced green onions and red pepper flakes and serve.
- Bon Appetit!
Subscribe and receive your free download of the "My Healthy Day" checklist.